Here are my tips that PK Walsh considers part of your hair loss journey. Whether your hair loss be medically induced, hereditary, or other.
Most importantly, have a realistic expectation. Getting a hair replacement or medical wig is not your real hair.
- YOU CANNOT PLOP HAIR ON YOUR HEAD AND EXPECT IT TO LOOK GOOD.
If it were that easy everyone would want to wear hair.
- IT IS NOT VANITY TO WANT TO LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND SEE YOURSELF.
- IT WILL GIVE YOU YOUR LIFE BACK.
- SLEEP ON A SATIN PILLOWCASE. It is good for hair and skin.
- TAKE THE PROPER MULTI HAIR VITAMIN. VIVASCAL PROFESSIONAL.
- There is a difference between store bought and one that can be got from a doctor’s office or certified salon.
- YOU NEED MORE THAN ONE. If you had to wear a uniform to work every day for 10 hours how many would you buy. Now compare to the hair you will wear every day for up to 12-14 hours. What happens when something happens to it?
- REMEMBER, THE BEST HAIR ON THE WORLD IS THE BEST HAIR THAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU. Not necessarily the most expensive luxurious hair. It’s what you feel good in.
- THERE WILL BE A LEARNING CURVE.
For chemotherapy, radiation medication, etc. here are the must tips.
- Have something to sleep in. Your head does get cold when you have no hair.
- If your head gets itchy, cornstarch works well.
- You may want to get something to throw on your scalp while you are at home or running to the store. They make great accessories. Even hair with ponytails.
- Before you have hair loss you may experience some tingling and or burning of the scalp. This tells you the chemo is working and that you will start to have hair loss.
- Get your wig as soon as you are diagnosed. It gives you the opportunity to shop around to find the best and most comfortable fit. Make sure they know how to do custom alterations. Not just adjusting the straps in the back, but when they more or less take it apart and put it back together.
- Unfortunately, wigs are usually more hair than you are used to. However you do get used to it quickly.
- Remember, your hair will always look good and be ready to go.
- Human hair wigs are not hotter than synthetic hair wigs. If you are hot you are hot. You can freeze hypo-allergenic baby wipes to stick under the cap. You can wet the cap. You can wet and freeze wig caps.
- Remember this is temporary.